Welcome
INVITATION
If you are a dreamer, come in,
If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,
A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...
If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire
For we have some flax-golden tales to spin.
Come in!
Come in!
-Shel Silverstein,
Where the Sidewalk Ends
Thursday, May 20, 2010, 10:45 PM
Six Seconds Is All It Takes
A creative writing assignment for an English class. A scenario that takes place in six seconds.
Facebook is the best distraction. I open Google Chrome and click the Facebook bookmark. My crush! He is on the top of my news feed! Just look at his profile picture. There he is, with eyes as blue as the ocean. They draw me in and make me forget my name! Then there’s that luminous smile of his. His teeth are so white and straight, they should be on a toothpaste box. And his hair is the ideal mix between curly and wavy, hovering just above his eyes in that surfer boy manner. He posted his most recent Formspring answer on his wall. This one was about his lisp. Oh, that cute lisp. It’s so cleverly subtle that you can only hear it if you’re aware that he has a lisp. I wonder if he is signed in to Facebook chat. HE IS! Do I IM him? Yes. But what if he just signed on? I don’t want to IM him right away. That will make me seem like a stalker. But what if he’s been on this entire time and me waiting another minute to talk to him is just another minute closer to when he decides to sign off? Idea! There is one thing I know he can never pass up: the question of the day. It’s a great ice breaker and can lead to more conversation and more talking in the future. Right? Right.
Great. Now I need a good question of the day. Hm. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? Well, that’s a negative question and he just answered it on Formspring so I don’t want to be repetitive, even though I can always pretend that it never came up on my news feed. Yeah, no. I remember seeing lines and lines of bands under favorite music in his profile, so I can ask a question about music. Music. That’s a safe topic. On the soundtrack to your life, what would be the first song? That’s a good one! There is no way he can let that slide. But wait. If I ask that, is it too creepy? You know, not saying, “hey, what’s up” before starting the conversation; just jumping into it head first, or in this case, heart first.
But what if he starts talking about some band I have never heard of? It’ll be completely embarrassing! The conversation will just die after that! It is just a chance I have to take. Who knows, we may have the same first song. Although there are thousands of songs out there and the chances of us having the same first song on our life’s soundtrack is very, very slim. But he has such a strong aura of pure awesomeness and beauty that surrounds him that it almost pains me to not talk to him. Not that he is aware of it or his effect on me. Regardless, do I IM him? I think I should, even if my body is shaking uncontrollably and I’m having a serious issue trying to grip the mouse. WHY, HANDS, MUST YOU SWEAT SO MUCH?! Yet, I’m convinced that the temperature in my room has just dropped fifteen degrees. But what if he is busy? If he was, he would not be on Facebook. People go on Facebook to procrastinate.
Conclusion, he might not be busy and is awaiting my IM as much as I’m freaking out about sending one, a.k.a. A LOT. Thank god I’m freaking out at home and this isn’t in person. He may think I’m…bizarre. I can’t help it though! His height, a whopping six feet, trumps mine of 5’1” but that’s okay because he has a laugh that can make anyone giddy. Just thinking about him gets my heart beating at a near fatal level and my hands sweat even more profusely.
You know what? I’m done playing the “safe card.” I am going to send him that question of the day and I don’t care if I get embarrassed or go into a state of shock from somehow getting the courage to talk to him. My heart is beating so fast, it might as well just push the SEND button for me. Wait. What was that ding? Okay, it was less of a ding and more of a pop, like a balloon. I know that sound! It’s a Facebook IM. From him! AAAHHH!!! What does it say? WHAT.DOES.IT.SAY? He says hi :). Hands shaking nervously, I type back hello.
Labels: facebook, IM, mail, six seconds
Post a Comment
1 comments